8/06/2011

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

★★★☆☆
Release Date: July 26, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Action, Vampires, Fantasy, Fairies
Format: Hardcover

Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees. But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself. So much for normal.

Let's begin with "Paranormalcy is one of my favorite books,". Kiersten White creates these awesome characters and amazing story line that is so fresh, fun, and funny, it's so hard to put the book down. So, here comes the hardest part I think every author is faced with. How do you make book 2 just as grand?

After the paranormal genre glory that I believe is Paranormalcy comes Supernaturally. How to describe it in one word? Random. With such a force that is Paranormalcy I had very high expectations for this one (I don't know what I keep doing this to myself). I felt like this book went all over the place. One minute we're here and dealing with this, the next that doesn't matter and we're here, then oh look another plot twist let's move over here. And Evie suffers from that-now I have everything I've ever wanted but I still need to complain about something- illness. It got a little old. But, it is fast paced and sometimes the twists weren't all that bad.

The book begins with Evie trying to be normal, then leaps straight back into her very not normal life. She's still our Evie, the unsure girl who can kick butt. We see some more weakness, doubt, and drama in this book. She also faces a demon from her past, but I don't feel like any of it really changes her. It still has that mystery and action that I loved from book one, but I fear this one suffers from the middle book syndrome. The stuck in the middle of the story, no longer in the beginning but we haven't gotten to the end yet. It's incredibly difficult to write a series of books, and my hat goes off to White and other authors who give it a shot.

Nothing really changes from one book to the other, other than the fact that Evie no longer lives in the Center but she continues to work for them, so... With the exception of Jack. And I did like Jack. I kept waiting for that moment, you know what I'm talking about if you've read it. Jack gets on Evie's last nerve. He's that annoying brother-like character we missed in book 1.

I didn't mean for this to sound like such a negative review because I did like Supernaturally for what it is, the middle child, Kiersten's still got her witty one liners and quirky set of characters but after waiting for this book for so long I felt let down.

Since it is a good book, I think you guys deserve some other opinions.

Cynthia's review at A Blog About Nothing
Amber's review at Down the Rabbit Hole
Jess' review at Gone with the Words
Mocha's review at A Cupcake and a Latte

2 comments:

  1. I have been looking forward to reading this book, actually. But I like your review, so I know what to expect if I ever get my hands on this novel.

    Though, I'm glad to know that book 1 would be good.

    And having high expectations? Totally with you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... that's kind of disappointing to hear. I adored the first one. I'll still check out the 2nd book, but thanks for the honest review. Your 3 star rating drew my eye (I had one of those, "Oh snap! Does it not live up to the first one?" moments.).

    ReplyDelete