7/28/2013

The Truth About You and Me Review

The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace
★★★☆☆
Release Date: September 8, 2013
Publisher: Flux
Age: Young Adult
Genre: Coming of Age, Contemporary Romance, Drama, Teacher, Love, High School, College
Format: ebook
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Preorder it: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Smart girls aren't supposed to do stupid things.
Madelyn Hawkins is super smart. At sixteen, she's so gifted that she can attend college through a special program at her high school. On her first day, she meets Bennet. He's cute, funny, and kind. He understands Madelyn and what she's endured - and missed out on - in order to excel academically and please her parents. Now, for the first time in her life, she's falling in love.
There's only one problem. Bennet is Madelyn's college professor, and he thinks she's eighteen - because she hasn't told him the truth.
The story of their forbidden romance is told in letters that Madelyn writes to Bennet - both a heart-searing ode to their ill-fated love and an apology.
For me, this book was an okay read. It is a story that treads the water but never dives in. I wanted to be pulled under, but it never happened. My feelings for the characters never went beyond my initial takes, I didn't feel connected to their development and I really wasn't feeling their love. I'd say this is a coming of age book, a finding oneself book, more than a love story.

Maddie is a liar. Point blank. It's hard to even want to like someone who is supposed to be a genius but is, in all ways that count, quite the average person. The girl lacks common sense. What's that phrase, book smart but not street smart. Maddie's not life smart. She lures a teacher into a relationship built up on false pretenses and while she constantly thinks about the thing, her age, that separates them; she never once thinks about him (honestly). Their relationship is short lived and the way in which they fall out was sad, for him. He ends up losing so much more than she does. The ending of the book was by far my favorite part. Amanda Grace couldn't have concluded their story better.

The Truth About You and Me is told in the form of a letter. Maddie is writing a letter to help Bennett. Maddie is naive and young, it's hard to blame her for the way she acts because really; she's just a kid. As I got into the book I couldn't stop reading, I wanted to know what happened. I wanted to know why Maddie was writing these letters and I wanted to know how their story panned out. I was hooked in from the beginning and easily blew through the story. If you're looking for something light (even with the dense subject matter) and easy to get into, I recommend this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment