4/10/2012

Top Ten [9]


Hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish
Top Ten Five Books That Were Totally Deceiving
These will be books that were either better or worse than I thought they would be. Some I categorized at first glance and shouldn't have, others had that word of mouth thing going for them and left me disappointed.

1. What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen- Since it is a Sarah Dessen novel I knew I was going to read it, no matter what the synopsis was, but when I got into the story I felt deflated. Not the best Dessen novel.

2. The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine- These books are deceiving in a good way. Going into book 1 I wasn't expecting much and immediately was sucked into the Morganville world.

3. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin- I am a frequent www.bookcloseouts.com shopper (if you haven't checked them out, DO SO!) and sometimes I come across books on there that I haven't heard of but that seem worth the chance (plus they're mostly so cheap). Elsewhere was one of those books. The cover is fun, and the plot seemed interesting, but it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. 

4. Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens- The reviews for this book are awesome, it was free on Amazon so I thought, "Why not?". Well.. I was deceived.

5. XVI by Julia Karr- This book was so much more than I thought it was going to be. I was pretty stoked when I read it and enjoyed it as much as I did. It was definitely a good deception.

It's hard coming up with books that really had the upper hand on me. I'm a researcher, when I think about buying a book I mostly look it up all over the internet to make sure it's something I'm going to enjoy. Not to mention the fact that my husband is an accountant and I don't exactly get to spend money lightly, so when I do spend money I make sure it counts. The good deceptions are always a blast! 

4 comments:

  1. I found this a hard category too! Morganville vampires wouldn't really appeal to me wither I don't think but I keep hearing good things!

    New follower :-)

    My TTT: http://www.pocketfulofbooks.com/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-were-totally.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about What Happened to Goodbye. The title and cover don't tell you much about the book, and it wasn't my favorite Dessen novel. I did enjoy the stuff about the little mini-city, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a tough time with Top Ten this week. I ended up going in a completely different direction with the most frequently banned books list released by the ALA yesterday. Would love for you to stop by. New follower via GFC :)
    http://ajarndtbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ended up breaking mine down into "ill-suited" (as in, didn't have anything to do with the book), and "ill-judged" (totally my fault for delaying reading really good books because I hated or didn't get their covers). That made it easier to come up with 10. Good choices here, BTW :)

    ReplyDelete